Friday, June 28, 2013

Drawing Final


Hmmm, here's something a bit different from what I usually show,

for my final project in drawing class last semester, each student spent about six weeks developing a series of drawings involving any subject matter, as long as the basis of it was drawn from life... so, I chose to base my series on drawing a number dead things floating in  jars, with surreal elements incorporated.

I've had plenty of reference for this, as the RISD nature lab is full of all sorts of awesome specimines, in and out of jars, and I have my own collection of dead things that I shall be posting photographs of here at some point...

I think I created about 30 pieces for this series, with a general progression from the first ones being technical and linear to the latter ones being atmospheric and somewhat abstract. this particular drawing was the final drawing I completed for the series, and was drawn with charcoal on two pieces of 38" x 50" stonehenge paper, so the actual dimentions of it are 50" x 76"...

at art school, you learn to draw large things quickly, and I spent only one sleepless night during an already hectic finals week smashing this fellow into existence...  the main subject here is a spider crab from one of my crab jars, with an assortment of vaguely crabby legs being ephemeral and mysterious as he sits in the murky alcohol of his jar....

No comments:

Post a Comment